Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Ten things I loved about Melbourne (No 9 and 10 … finally!)

9. Chocolate shops! There seemed to be one on every corner.

LindtIMG_0167

Haigh’s

IMG_0166

IMG_1491

And GanacheIMG_0168

It was here that, on my final morning in Melbourne, I unashamedly spent all my walking “credits”  - on one wickedly indulgent breakfast.

Couldn’t help myself. Winking smile 

IMG_0170

10. Getting locked up in the City Watch House.

What????!!!????DSCN1223

I was “arrested” for violent and threatening behaviour, and made to stand against a wall while my charge was read out to me.

After dutifully answering every question during my interrogation with “Yes, sergeant” or “No, sergeant” as instructed,  I was put into a small cell fitted with wooden benches, along with five other women. We were left to look at each other in bewilderment as our arresting officer turned the key in the door and walked away.

IMG_1496

Nervous giggling for thirty seconds. Then she came back, told us we were being punished for making too much noise, and flicked the light off. Total darkness for another twenty seconds, before our sergeant returned and let us out.

IMG_1498

Don’t worry, it was all in fun.

This interactive experience is an optional part of a visit to the Old Melbourne Gaol. Great for those with an adventurous spirit, and very informative too. “Sergeant” Finch played her role as arresting officer superbly, with plenty of ad-libbing and a talent for choosing the best stooges to bounce off. IMG_1500

She told us the history of the now-closed Melbourne Watch House where miscreants were held immediately after being charged, but before being tried. This grim space was the men’s exercise area.

IMG_1501

Then there was the padded cell (Do you ever have days like this?).

IMG_1503

And finally, the mug shot.

IMG_1508

It’s OK, I was grinning on the inside.

Di

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I love that mug shot.....definitely one for the family album, don't you think? And chocolate, my favourite fruit....yummmmmm......unfortunately here in the Small Smoke we don't have a chocolate shop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! I'm so glad you pre-rewarded yourself with the ganache chocolate brekkie before being incarcerated! What a terrifyingly fun experience. I'm glad you've left Melbourne and are back to walking the hills at home. Whew! A close call.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a lot of fun! And chocolate for breakfast - no wonder you were locked up!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so please leave me a comment.