Sunday, February 19, 2017

Threads of friendship

Of all the amazing experiences I've enjoyed during my first week in The Villages, meeting a whole bunch of Florida quilters at two separate events has to be the highlight.

I was invited to give a presentation to the Central Florida Modern Quilt Guild on Monday evening, and the ladies couldn't have been lovelier to me. At the end of my "Meanderings of a (Moderately) Modern Quilter" their President, Karen, thanked me with this cute Pixie Basket of threads in really useful shades. 



Unfortunately the app I'm using to blog on the move on my DiPhone doesn't allow me to embed links, but if you'd like to make one of these for yourself you'll find the free tutorial here -http://fabricmutt.blogspot.com/2016/02/the-pixie-basket-tutorial.html?m=1 

I didn't take many photos on the night, but you can see how talented they are from their special Show and Tell of modern mini quilts.


I'd seen Karen's Metro Area quilt top (from Elizabeth Hartman's book, Patchwork City) on Linda's blog last year, so it was a treat to see it all quilted and finished.

 

You can read a full report of the meeting (with more photos) here - http://centralfloridamqg.blogspot.com/2017/02/feb-meeting-pre-quiltcon.html?m=1

The following day I gave the same PowerPoint presentation and virtual trunk show at Big Cypress Quilters.

Great fun followed, as I showed how to make my favourite cathedral windows style pin cushion, while Linda acted as my 'stunt quilter' doing the machining on her Bernina in between my demonstrating the steps.



I loved Mary Lou's enthusiasm!

 

There was Show and Tell here too, and I couldn't help but be amazed at these stunning Quilts of Valor, made for veteran servicemen.

 

You may like to read Linda's latest blog post for her perspective on the same events.

I'm so blessed to have met quilters around the world, and to have made firm friendships with some, initially through our common interest in quilting, but often finding we have much more in common, as Linda and I do. 

It's been a huge step for me to travel across the world on my own, and I've been touched by the hours she's spent, leading up to my arrival, making sure my days are jam-packed with incredibly exciting adventures, sights and experiences.

You can imagine how welcome I felt, then, to be greeted with a little group of gifts on my arrival - a Dunkin' Donuts Florida mug, a portable lamp to help my stitching, some quilt patterned pencils, and this beautiful Essential Wristlet (pattern by Dog Under My Desk) and Fabio Zipper Key Fob (by Lazy Girl Designs), the last two, of course, made by Linda herself.



That PINK and YELLOW fabric will always remind me of my holiday and the Florida sunshine we've been enjoying!  ☀️

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your adventures, Di......looks as though you are having a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so enjoyed both of your presentations at the quild meetings. I'm a member of both. I also loved the pin cushion demo. Very glad you have enjoyed your time so far in The Villages and wish you great fun at Quilt Con. By the way, I'm Selina a guild friend of Linda's who I met as a blogger a couple of years ago when I lived in New Jersey. Enjoy the rest of your vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun! Now, off to Quilt Con! Enjoy! XO

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so please leave me a comment.