Sunday, September 1, 2013

Work-in-Progress

With my new abode still a work-in-progress I can’t quite give you the grand tour just yet. Not that the tour will ever be very grand, but you get my drift.

However since this blog is supposed to be mainly about quilting – my own and that of my friends – I thought I’d update you on what we’ve been up to.

Rae’s Grandmother’s Flower Garden just grows and grows in a most beautiful fashion. I think Rae’s our undisputed Queen of Fussy Cutting! She thinks she’s going to use up all her scraps on this monster. Should we tell her now? or let her find out that this is an impossible dream.

IMG_4064

Sue’s caught the hexagon bug too, but hers are quilt-as-you-go. What you can’t see is that the quilt is entirely reversible, and will need no sandwiching or quilting at all once it’s finished.

IMG_5499

Here are some more gorgeous hexagon finishes by Sue using Japanese fabrics and hardware she bought at the Sydney Craft Fair.

IMG_5503Gail made this lovely Flowering Vines quilt from a pattern by the Piece o’ Cake girls a few years ago, but she’s always felt it needed a co-ordinating pillow case. Don’t you love her design? Those scrappy edges are such a fun touch.

IMG_4827

IMG_4828

Gail has also had the wonderful news that she is to be a grandma to twin girls early in the new year, and being a woman of action she’s already designed, made and quilted these quirky beauties for the babies. Geckos for one, and frogs for the other.

IMG_5656

IMG_5658There’s one in every crowd, and in our crowd it’s Di B. We love her! Just look at that bag, from a pattern by the Blue Willow girls, made in the cutest, brightest frog fabric and sure to raise a smile wherever Di wears it. Great work!

IMG_5506

Here’s a work-in-progress shot.

IMG_5502

I’m loving Lyn’s owl quilt in 30s fabrics. Such a simple concept, but so happy and cheery for a little one. And “hoo” doesn’t enjoy an owl joke now and then?

IMG_2692

In case you think I’ve been completely idle, this photo was snapped by the quilting paparazzi at our August St Mark’s Quilters workshop. I might have just been sewing on a label, but that counts as quiltmaking, doesn’t it?

IMG_2686

I’m a bit excited, too, to tell you that my Daisy a Day quilt appears in an article on Orange Peel quilts in the current issue of Down Under Quilts, along with photos I took of ancient examples of this design in stone and mosaics when I was travelling in Israel last year, and several ‘photos of photos’ from a museum display.

IMG_5647

IMG_5648

It’s surprising how far back some of our quilting designs go.

IMG_5649

There really is nothing new under the sun!

Red rose Di

7 comments:

  1. lovely quilts and tell your friend she will never use up all of her scraps - no matter what we do they just keep multiplying like rabbits!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done you, for being featured in the magazine! Yes, sewing on a label counts as quilting because a quilt is not finished until it's labelled, is it? Looking forward to seeing pics of Di's Den, once you have settled in and made it your own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are just beautiful, and so is your Daisy quilt, Di!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting! That quilt is taking you places you never dreamed of when you began it!

    As i recall the date, I am thinking of you and praying that God will wrap you in His loving arms and pull you so close you can hear His heart beat. Cry if you need to and remember how much you are loved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many wonderful quilts !! Di B's bag is so fun!! How exciting that your quilt is in Down Under Magazine. It's interesting to see the orange peel patterns appearing in mosaics and masonry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful works di .loving it all...very motivational too...got me thinking about my hexy flowers... sue~nz

    ReplyDelete
  7. How can I begin to comment on all this loveliness!? I've finally caught hexie fever and now can begin to relate to what everyone is feverish for! The pics you've put up are great. Such a pretty appliquéd pillow to compliment the quilt. Di b's bag is so HER! I'm surprised to see her wearing subdued black, but it perfectly sets off the bag. But hmmm. Could she just add a little more color to that bag? I am so proud of you and that Daisy quilt! SO much work! How neat to share the architectural inspirations for it. Now if you have more magazine story ideas, please let ME know!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so please leave me a comment.