Sunday, September 15, 2013

Laurel’s Stars and Princess Plenty

Remember how excited you felt starting out, at the beginning of the school year, with new exercise books and folders? When Paddington Patchworkers invited delightful Blue Mountains quilt designer and teacher, Lynne Alchin, to come and teach a class Di B decided her besties needed folders to keep all our cut-out pieces and applique shapes organised.

Quilt Folder Collage

The concept is simple, a loose leaf ring binder filled with zip lock plastic pages that can hold all those tiny pieces that seem to get left between the cushions or on the floor under the chair. You could just use ordinary household zip lock bags, but these are made specially to fit in binders and are more robust.

For the covers Di picked a fabric she knew each of us would love – and she certainly hit the spot with my Kaffe hot pink fans!

IMG_5999

IMG_6004

IMG_4062

Gail

IMG_4061

Di B with Rae

If you’ve been following my blog for several years you might recall this quilt made by my friend Anne a couple of years ago.

It’s Lynne Alchin’s design, “Laurel’s Stars”, and was the quilt that first sparked our determination to have Lynne come and teach us. When Gail successfully secured her Lynne brought her original “Laurel’s Stars” along to our class and oh my, this quilt is exquisite.

IMG_1972

Di B chose this quilt to make for her mother, Margaret, and since she’s such a machine applique whizz she had it finished to this stage in no time. Go ahead, you may drool now.

IMG_5627

Rae’s more of a handwork lady, and her starry borders are coming together steadily, piece by piece. This is the only photo I have so far. [Does anyone else use their pants as a pincushion? I confess I doWinking smile]

IMG_2696

Desley’s put her own quirky spin on Laurel’s Stars by using only fabrics from her scrap stash to complete her applique – and I love it!

!cid_0C28C380-CF3E-42AF-8ACF-8C377E20E9E4

My own choice is Lynne’s “Princess Plenty” quilt (seen below), with a centre star surrounded by huge feathers, a pieced border and then …. (be still, my heart) … a deep border of applique vines, flowers, fruit, birds and cornucopias.

IMG_1984

I’m using some of my treasured Robyn Pandolph florals, along with Lecien Flower Sugar fabrics, so mine will look very different from Lynne’s.

IMG_5380

Already I’ve made a rather cheeky design adjustment. I wasn’t happy with how the centre points of my star met (or didn’t meet!).

IMG_5378

My solution? A tiny applique dot to hide my sins. Have you seen my tutorial for these babies?

Edited LA quilt

Edited LA quilt 3

It’s so great to be embarking on another major handwork project along with my quilting friends, and seeing their variations on the designs really gets all our creative juices flowing.

PS. I’ve had a few requests lately for advice on how to assemble the Joseph’s Coat/Orange Peel blocks I used to make my “Daisy a Day” quilt, and I’m preparing a tutorial on this. I’ll post it as soon as I’m able.

Red rose Di

4 comments:

  1. Such beautiful work. A good post to read early in the morning!! It makes me want to hop right up and get to work. I'm going to resist the urge to stop what I'm doing and make notebook covers!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Di, where does one obtain the plastic pages from..and what size are they? A lovely gift idea that I might steal! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Di B tells me she bought the pages and the folders at Officeworks. They are close to A5 size, though probably a little squarer.

      Delete
  3. Well! You Di's certainly don't let any grass grow under your feet, nor let your hands be idle. Di B's notebooks are inspirational! What a delightful surprise gift for all you hand appliquérs. And the quilts everyone is making... they're beautiful. You all make me appreciate handwork, and also make me want to sit down - slow down - and do it. Though unless you're right here beside me, I don't take it slow like you do. I should though. Thank you for sharing these lovelies. I always enjoy and appreciate the dedication you have to your quilting.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so please leave me a comment.