Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Who made this quilt?

When I’m long gone I’d like to think anyone asking this question about a quilt of mine won’t be left wondering.  I hope they’ll easily find the answer  on the label. In her recent talk Dr Annette Gero  reinforced the importance of labelling, from the point of view of a quilt historian, and I’ve vowed to be more conscientious in doing this in the future, even with my more humble quilts.

I had to smile when I borrowed two of my quilts from my parents this week to display in a small exhibition of work at my club. I made these quilts in the last 7 years for my parents’ 80th birthdays, and the labels brought back memories of two very happy celebrations.IMG_7327 This was my mother’s, and I forced myself to cut up some of my very favourite Robyn Pandolph fabrics for a special lady.Here’s the quilt label. IMG_7332

IMG_7334I made this bow-tie quilt for my father’s 80th after collecting plaids, paisleys and such for several months.IMG_7340 Here are its two labels, created using photos and text printed on fabric.  It was a somewhat labour-intensive process involving soaking in Bubble Jet Set in the days before fabric printing sheets, but definitely worth it.IMG_7343-1 Those are his wife (my mother), all his children, their spouses, and all his grandchildren.IMG_7345 IMG_7346 Helpers setting up our exhibition felt the labelling was such an important feature that we’ve pinned the quilts back so visitors can read the ‘stories’.IMG_7368

3 comments:

  1. I love your labels Di. My mind empties itself as soon as I try to do a label. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Di! Such great labels! They put mine to shame. I always end up sounding fairly boring and factual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The label does make the quilt complete I think Di. Your Mum and Dad's quilts are gorgeous, must admit I especially like your Mum's one.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so please leave me a comment.