Sunday, January 17, 2016

Hillside Houses

The sun could hardly have shone brighter over Sydney Harbour on Christmas Day.


And the balmy weather continued right through to New Year.

[photo by City of Sydney]

But a few days later the heavens opened and it seemed as if the torrential summer rain would never stop. Perfect weather! For finally getting started on a quilt, that is.


Apart from the stunning play of colours, light and shade, I imagine any of us can look at this pattern and, with just a little poetic license, see a resemblance to a special landscape from our own life's experience. 

For me, it's a little like the mansions built on the slopes beside Sydney Harbour, except, of course they're nestled among mature trees and gardens. It's also a little like the staggered skyline of the high rise apartment buildings where I live. And it's even like the pretty little houses I've seen on a Greek island in the Aegean Sea. 


The pattern comes with instructions for three sizes, to make a miniquilt, a wall hanging or a throw size quilt, and I chose the wall hanging. There are twelve blocks, each one different, and so far I've completed eight.

Block #1

Block #2

Block #3

Row #1 Completed

Block #4

Block #5

Block #6

Row #2 Completed

Block #7

Block #8

Making a quilt entirely from solids is a new experience for me, but I can see they're perfect for this colour block design, adding crispness and dimension to the angles of the houses. 


So here's my design wall, and my progress so far. 

Just four blocks to go 😉

Do these hillside houses remind you of somewhere special?

8 comments:

  1. Love your hillside houses, Di......and they won't ever have to worry about landslides!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been contemplating this quilt for ages, and your beautiful quilt is very inspiring. I love the solids in it, I agree it wouldn't work well with prints and the solids are just beautiful. Thanks for sharing your lovely version 😀

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this pattern. I made one in batiks. It reminded me of the Italian coastline. I wrote about it here:
    http://quiltcrossing.blogspot.com/2015/08/fact-or-fantasy.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your houses look amazing...awesome photos of Sydney ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blocks are so pretty. This is one I've been wanting to make, and you might just have given me the push to get going on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Di,
    I just found your blog via Pinterest. I LOVE this bright colours! I will follow your blog now. Thank you for sharing.
    :o) Doris

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your houses! The colors are wonderful, definitely remindful of places like Germany along the Danube, Norway and Iceland. I made this pattern in deeper colors. I would love to share the picture with you but I don't know how to attach a picture. Maybe I'll try an email.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so please leave me a comment.