Monday, October 28, 2013

Seven crowded days make one weak


Hear that? It's the sound of this weary Mumma, and Chester the Wonderlab, catching up on some much-needed sleep after the frenetic pace of Sarah's final week here.

After 2 and a half weeks filled with retail therapy, attending to travel-related admin, catching up with friends (hers and mine), enjoying plenty of niece and nephew cuddles with The Princess and Mr J, embarrassing Chester by entering him in a Dogtober fancy dress competition dressed as a fairy followed by a late night mercy dash to the emergency vet with our precious pup very sick with Kennel Cough, and savouring the all-too-few moments of just hanging out together, the pace was ramped up a notch (if that's possible) with the arrival, on my birthday, of Nolan, Sarah's …um… Significant Other.

For seven days we lurched from one sumptuous meal to another, as we tried to give Nolan, a first-time visitor to Australia, the ultimate Sydney experience.

Lunch with Sarah's godmother, Liccy, at the Tea Rooms at Watsons Bay
Breakfast at The Grounds at Alexandria

Dinner at the Night Noodle Markets in Hyde Park
Nolan even cooked us a candlelight dinner at home one evening. Yummmmm.
We kept on the move too, with the young ones taking part in the Spring Bike Ride across the Sydney Harbour Bridge and around the sights of Sydney, and outings to Centennial Park and Bondi Beach..

On their final day, along with Lachy and Merry and Mr J, we took the ferry across the harbour to Taronga Park Zoo where I momentarily lost them among the meerkats :-)

 It was a delight to share Mr J's excitement and sense of wonder at the tall giraffes,

The elephants,

And the performing seals.

Chester's recovered from his Kennel Cough, though the poor boy is finding it had to understand why he has to be quarantined and can't play with his friends in the park yet. (Three days to go!)

These two have gone home to the States.

 And I've {almost} recovered from a tumultuous roller coaster of a month during which my blog posting and reading has been far more hit-and-miss than I would have liked.

My apologies. Normal transmission will be resumed very soon, dear reader.


  1. it sounds like you had a lot of fun but yes after awhile it is nice to get back to routine isn't it. It must be fun showing someone around parts of Australia though that have never been there - I know I would love to see Australia one day. It all looks very beautiful and I enjoy the photos.

  2. You certainly didn't waste a moment of the visit. You sure got out and about and covered most of Sydney and I bet Nolan was impressed! How fun that the Noodle night markets were on. The merekat photo made me laugh!

  3. I'm almost exhausted just reading about your week! You really crammed a lot of fun into a few days and will have wonderful memories of the time together.

  4. What a wonderful time you showed Nolan! I know how much you must have tried to squeeze into his visit, and how tiring that can be. Really, I do understand! I am picking up right where you left off, wondering how I will ever recover enough personal time to catch up to blog reading and posting again. The holidays are looking like road time, and with a baby due January 6, that month will be lost too. I've pretty much figured out there is no time to design a "next steps" series of lessons to follow First Time Quiltmaking... as I had planned to do. How does one get so darned busy in retirement?! Love see what you've been up to. Thanks for sharing your great pictures. Give Chester some snuggles for me, poor baby.

  5. I'm so glad you were able to spend time with Sarah and Nolan (and the rest of the family) even if it did tire you out!


I love to hear from you, so please leave me a comment.